Industry News

What is new, is here

13 October, 2021 Industry News

Global Statistical Review, Raisins, Sultanas and Currants

Global Statistical Review, Raisins, Sultanas and Currants


See what is happening with dried grape production.

Turkey Dried Grapes

As per the Aegean Exporters Association, for the 2021/2022 season, Turkish dried grape production is expected to be 290,000 metric tons. With a beginning stock of 60,000 MT, total supply is estimated at around 350,000 MT. International shipments in 2020/21 (September 1, 2020-August 31, 2021) reached 226,000 MT. The 2021/22 season started on September 1 and, up to September 25, exports amounted to 22,825 MT, up by 7% from the same period the previous season, the top three export markets being the UK, Germany and the Netherlands.

China Dried Grapes

As reported by the USDA NASS GAIN report of September 2, 2021, Chinese dried grape production in the 2020/21 season was drastically reduced mainly due to COVID-19 lockdown measures in the Xinjiang area, the largest raisin producing region in China, which halted farming activities and affected grape harvesting; while season 2021/22 is expected to rebound to normal levels.
 
According to industry sources, after last season’s short production, 2021/22 production is forecasted to increase, even double up from 2020/21, up to 200,000 MT. Weather conditions during the growing season were very favorable and there was less pest pressure. Green raisins account for around 70% of the total production, while the remaining 30% are Sultanas.
 
Overall, quality was reported very good by early September and provided there are no rains until early October, it is foreseen to be excellent, with good color and less mold; while size is a little smaller than last year due to high temperatures.
 
As for shipments, last season’s short production is already sold out. A price drop compared to the same period last year coupled with the good quality are speeding up sales for this season’s production. According to the USDA report, both raisin imports and domestic consumption are expected to increase, as food consumption is recovering after the pandemic-related decrease in 2020, and benefitting from the expansion of food processing and snack sectors.

USA Dried Grapes

Despite the lack of rain during the rainy season, growing conditions have been favorable with plenty of warm days, especially during the summer months. More raisin variety grapes are expected to go to the wineries for crushing impacting the number of grapes that can be used to make raisins this year. Quality is expected to be very good with berries on the smaller side.
 
The fires burning in the mountain communities mainly to the north of the raisin growing region are expected to have little or no impact on raisin production. At the time of writing this report, export shipments continued to get affected due to port congestion and vessel delays.

Iran Dried Grapes

According to the Iran Dried Fruit Exporters Association, dried grape production in season 2020/21 was significantly large, estimated at around 260,000 MT. The whole production was consumed domestically and exported, leaving no carry-over. Production for 2021/22 is estimated within normal ranges, at 160-170,000 MT with a carry-over of around 10-12,000 MT.

South Africa Dried Grapes

As per Raisins South Africa, there was a good change of seasons from autumn to winter, with a very cold July and August. As spring starts in the southern hemisphere production region, vineyards move into the very critical budbreak stage. However, at the time of writing this report, the weather forecast indicated low frost risk.
 
Since May 2021, the industry has experienced some logistical challenges, which impacted shipments. However, irrespective of those limitations exported volumes were higher compared to 2020. Product is moving well and the carry-over is foreseen to be close to the forecasted value.
Cookies Policy

This site may use some cookies to enhance user experience. Please, accept it before navigate in our website. We recommend you to read the cookies policy .