The dynamic expansion of the edible nut industry crystallized in 1980 with the First World Tree Nut Congress in Reus, Spain, which celebrated the first large international gathering of business people of this sector with the objective of standardising criteria and uniting efforts in the task of promoting and improving their professional work.
In 1982 the second World Tree Nut Congress took place in Sorrento, Italy, and in 1983 the third one was held in Sacramento, USA.
With the aim of giving continuity to these meetings and providing some institutional strenght to the defence and development of common interests, various representatives of world-renowned edible nut companies met in Paris on 24th January 1983. From this meeting emerged the decision to formally constitute an association of an international character: INC - International Nut and Dried Fruit Council.
The Foundation of the International Nut and Dried Fruit Council
Further to the recommendations passed during the 2nd International World Tree Nut Congress in Sorrento in 1982, a working party was convened and arrived unanimously at the following conclusions:
It was decided to establish a professional body entitled INC-CIFS (International Tree Nut Council - Conseil International des Fruits Secs - Consejo Internacional de Frutos Secos - Consiglio International della Frutta Secca)
The aims and objectives were broadly defined as follows:
- To consider all aspects of production
- To promote, encourage and stimulate consumption worldwide
- To support investigation and research
- To coordinate and homogenize quality standards and trading terms within the framework of existing national and international bodies
- To monitor customs duties, trade barriers and be available to advise governmental bodies on their significance
- To promote reunions and international conventions within the profession, to further goodwill and mutual understanding and to keep members advised of events and developments within the trade
Membership would be open to anyone engaged in the nut and dried fruit trade, producers, distributors, and consumers of Almonds, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Pine Kernels, Pistachios, Macadamias, Pecans, Cashews and Brazil Nuts.
Specialist sub-committees would be formed as deemed necessary.
Members joining before the 31st of December 1983 will be treated as founders.
The first founder-members of INC-CIFS provisionally elected the following officers: